Friday, January 4, 2008

Our first post of the new year

Since this is my first post of the new year I thought I'd include a visual greeting from the heart of Yankeeland.

There's not a heck of a lot going on with the Tribe these days, so I'm mostly posting to let you know I'm still alive and keeping an eye on things.

I guess it is news - in the broadest sense - that one guy the Tribe allegedly had some interest in, rehabbing pitcher Matt Clement, has signed with the Cardinals.

Clement would have been a good low-cost, possibly-high-reward signing for the Tribe, but it's nothing to be too broken up about.

Central Issues:

While the Indians have been hibernating all winter, there is news being made - or at least threatened - involving other teams in the Central Division.

The Yanks' new boss Hank Steinbrenner told the Journal News (my daily paper in the northern suburbs of NYC) that he's leaning toward doing a deal for Johan Santana.

“Nothing is really decided at this point. I’m still leaning towards doing it. There’s others leaning not to do it. There are some others that are leaning to do it also. Disagreements within the organization. Nothing major, but just different opinions. I’ve changed my opinion a couple times.”-- Hank Steinbrenner quoted by LoHud Yankee Blog, The Journal News' Yankee blog.

Sounds like Hank has the same grasp on things that his dad did in his early years as Yankee owner.

---

The White Sox have made a bit of a splash with their acquisition of Nick Swisher, whom they apparently plan to play in center - I think.

Swisher is a decent pickup for the White Sox, but this doesn't feel like the blockbuster it's being made out to be in the dead of winter and on the heels of the holiday season - which is a deadly time for baseball news junkies.

Swisher hit 22 homers last year and 21 in 2005. His best power year was 2006 when he hit 35. His batting average has been steady at around .250-.260. He walked about 100 times in each of the past two seasons and his on-base percentage and slugging percentage are good.

The numbers are impressive for a centerfielder, a bit less so if Swisher plays a corner outfield spot.

While adding Swisher's bat, there's talk the Sox may send another hitter packing. Major League Trade Rumors is reporting today that Chicago and the Angels are discussing a deal that would send Paul Konerko to LA. That is a bat I would just as soon see leave the division, though this sounds like a rumor in the most literal sense. There doesn't seem to be much to back it up at this point.

---

The Royals continue to do a lot of shopping in the bargain bins. They signed pitcher Hideo Nomo to a minor league deal and invited him to spring training. The Royals are also said to be talking with Bartolo Colon about a contract. (Trust me it does say that somewhere in there.)

So, as we count down the days until spring training (42), that's about all I've got. I mostly wanted to just check in, thank you for logging on every day and wish you all a good new year.

By the way, for those of you interested in politics, I have re-started (at the urging of my journalism professor at Iona) my blog about the presidential election. If you are interested you can find it at www.prezpolitics.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would prefer to see swisher inthe OF - than micheals nd deluccu - but what I undersand the sox gave up some good prospects

the sox and tigers will have better hitting than the tribe this year - we better hope our pitching holds up

I am ready for baseball - and so is the weather in cleveland - 60's tomorrow - thinking ahead if any of the regular bloggers are interested in joining a fantasty bball league let the moose know - we had a league the last 4 or so years but might need some new blood this year